1/5/14

What if the College Football Playoff was This Year?

 
 This year's national championship features #2 Auburn playing #1 Florida St. It also marks the end of the BCS system. Most college football fans know that college football will introduce a 4-team playoff in the first time in college football history. Oliver Luck and Archie Manning highlight the selection committee for the College Football Playoff (hopefully they didn't come up with the name), but the biggest highlight that got national attention was politician Condoleezza Rice as a member of the selection committee. There is a required rotation for the committee for at least 3 years.
   Let's pretend that the College Football Playoff was this year, and that I am in the selection committee. I'll tell you who I think deserves to be in the running for the national championship. I'll only be naming the teams and why I think they deserve to be a part of the College Football Playoff. No predictions or anything like that, remember I'm only apart of the selection committee, I'm not getting paid to make predictions. Also, I will not take in consideration of the results of the bowl games this year. I will go off the end of the regular season and go with the team's credentials at that point in the season. Let's get started.
Florida St.
   I think it's obvious that Florida St. should be in this playoff. They ran the table, have the best player in college football, have a great coach, and have one of the best defenses in college football.
Auburn
   Only one loss, but to a good LSU team. Auburn has many key wins against Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Georgia, Alabama, and Missouri. Nick Marshall and Heisman trophy candidate, Tre Mason, led the Tigers to the country's top rushing team. Gus Malzahn won coach of the year for leading the Tigers from worst to first in the SEC, definitely one of the best teams in the country.
Alabama
   Can it be a rule that the defending champions get an automatic bid in the College Football Playoff? Of course, if there is a more worthy team, put that team in their for a not so great defending champion team. That is not the case with Alabama. AJ McCarron has proven to me that he is not just a game-managing QB and T.J. Yeldon has been great in his 2nd year as the starting back. Nick Saban has done a fine job coaching this team, except for the last play of the Iron Bowl where he tried to kick a near impossible FG instead of going for a Hail Mary with McCarron, where you might not have scored, you wouldn't have one of the craziest, greatest plays in college football, unless you're an Alabama fan. Despite that Iron Bowl loss, Alabama has been great throughout the season and is without a doubt, one of the best teams in the country.
Stanford
   The first three teams were obvious choices, for me anyway. The 4th team was tough for me. Some teams that you could consider are Michigan St., Stanford, Missouri, Ohio St., and Baylor. I decided to give it to Stanford. To me, Stanford beat better competition than the other teams that were mentioned. Sure, there's Missouri, but Stanford could easily best Missouri. Kevin Shaw is one of the best coaches in the country, who will probably get some calls for NFL head coaching jobs. Tyler Gaffney has been a really good running back for Stanford's style of play, grind it out defense, tough lineman, and run the ball down your throat football. Yes, Stanford had a bad loss against Utah, but they have two impressive wins against Arizona St., wins against UCLA, Oregon St., and Oregon, in three straight weeks! I'm willing to bet that those other teams can't do that.
   There you have it folks! I have Florida St., Auburn, Alabama, and Stanford has my four playoff teams in the College Football Playoff, if there was one this year. Like I said before, I'm not making any predictions. You decide! The probable match-ups would probably be Florida St. vs Stanford and Auburn vs Alabama.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment